Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Diary of Paolina

January 26 1891
Dear Diary
 My name is Paolina and your new name will be Daisy. I love Daisies. I am from Verona,Italy and im 17 years old. Today was a very weird day, i woke up thinking about what i was dreaming which was my mom repeating "AMERICAN DREAM" and we receive a mail of dad from America telling us that we might move to the Unites States. I wish we go to America, I've heard that's the only hope for a better life, and my only love lives there now,his name is Giacomo. I never knew why should we move to the U.S. since I realized that Italy was becoming a horrible place to live. Many people are unemployed, there's a high mortality, a little or no medical care at all, a little or no schooling at all too, poor housing, and starvation. we should also be part of the AMERICAN DREAM.




February 27 1891
Dear Daisy
It has being a long time I haven't wrote, but my family and I have been very busy packing to move to the United States (it came true). Right now im in the ship and is very crowded and filthy. I am very hungry. My dad took off first to the US. I heard he is doing better than in Italy. I wonder why there's so much Italians isn't it supposed to be more British than Italians since we take the ship in England? o well that means i wont be alone.
P.S. We will land in the state of New York.




March 20 1891
Dear Daisy,
Sorry for forgetting about you again, I didn't had time to write because people tend to steal things and i was responsible of my stuff. I thought I was going to die of hunger but I didn't. Sometimes we couldn't eat because of the amount of people at the ship(to many), it was horrible but I suppose it's part of it. I'm in an apartment my dad rent until we have enough money to have our own. He had an American friend who helped him a lot. Right now I'm getting a rest, I've been working all day with my mom, like cleaning other people's houses. My mom and I clean the house of a rich American family. They treat us like slaves we are not slaves we are just doing a favor, or is it the same? It's awkward to be in a place of someone you don't know and more if you have notice that they don't like you. I think I want to go back.






May 5, 1891
Dear Daisy
All the work is driving me crazy, my dad working as a laborer is not helping at all and my mom and I can't. I thought that America would help our family situation, but it seems like it doesn't. There's to much discrimination here and I kind off hate dealing with it. Discrimination is so severe that we had to go live in sectors. Italians are located in Ellis Island in New York. So we had to move again which is more work done. Sometimes I regret telling that America was the hope for a better life. Today came the news of violence against Italians in New Orleans. Living in here is getting harder every time, life in Italy was not that hard as here and trust me it wasn't good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment